Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Nutritional Balancing: Month 1


I know I said I was going to post about my peeps' responsibility schedules, but honestly, the computer with that file on it has crashed, and there doesn't seem to be any hope for recovering it yet.

So I thought I'd post about this instead since my one-month "anniversary" of heavy metals diagnosis and treatment plan has come and gone just a few days ago.

I can't believe I've been on my Nutritional Balancing (NB) program for a month already! Time has literally (said like Chris Trager from Parks and Rec) flown by this past month. 

When I see or talk to people, most of them don't wait long before asking me how I feel--which makes me feel so special, by the way. It's nice that people remember when you're going through a difficult time and make an effort to ask how you're doing with it. I also like to think that those people are also praying for me often, which is another encouragement. 

So what's it been like to take over 20 pills a day, eat nothing but meat and veggies, have not an ounce of fruit or sugar of any kind, and detox from heavy metals??

I'm a list person, so I'm going to break it up into a positive and negative list. I believe this whole thing has been the best thing for me, so I even see the negatives as being necessary and steps in the right direction. Just some of it isn't "fun" right now.

Positives:

  • As simple as I felt my life was before all this, having a real excuse to take life at a slower pace and generally do less overall has been amazing. I feel ZERO pressure to do or accomplish a whole lot outside my home or my family's immediate needs. This may sound selfish to you, but for me, it's been absolutely freeing.
  • I have grace for myself. This is a very new thing for me. I am able to look at myself and not feel like such a failure for not getting 472 things done in one day. I realize that it'll keep til tomorrow. Or next week. And I'm really OK with that.
  • My family has been super amazing. Not that they weren't before, but they're just as "in this" as I am. We're all eating the same foods, and no one has complained about too many veggies (of which there have been many) or not enough treats (of which there have been none). It's been wonderful to see them just as proactive about this as I have been.
  • Cooking this way is the easiest thing ever. No complicated recipes to follow. No crazy ingredients. I just pick what meat I need to thaw out for the next day and then choose my veggies, and I'm all set. The longest part of meal prep now is waiting for veggies to cook in the oven. It's so hands-off and uninvolved and simple. I don't even have to plan a menu anymore because these are meals I can plan a few hours before. 
  • I'm sleeping a full eight (or more!) hours every night!!! Glory, glory, hallelujah!
  • I am having detox symptoms. No, they're not much fun, but they mean that something is working and things are a-changin' in this body of mine, which is a very good thing.
  • No eating out! I really hate eating out, but sometimes we would anyway just because I didn't want to cook or we were running low on food. But I now have a really good reason to NOT eat out, and I love it. 
  • No cravings. I almost can't believe this myself. I thought for sure that going this long without any sweets at all would have me drooling over every sweet recipe on Pinterest, but most of it doesn't even look good to me. No joke. For those who know me really well, this is probably a shock. But seriously, this is the first time in my life that I can say I am craving NOTHING.
  • I am trying new veggies to add more variety to my diet, and I'm actually loving many of them. Parsnips are my new favorite food! Oh my heavens, they are so yummy! 
Negatives:
  • I'm having detox symptoms. Yes, this is a good thing, but it also means that I feel pretty crummy a lot of the time. So far I've experienced morning nausea, headaches, fatigue, more brain fog, eye floaters, muscle weakness, and weird dreams. All completely normal and expected, but still not fun.
  • Taking 10 pills when I wake up in the morning is not easy. I already feel nauseated when I wake up until about 10:00 a.m., so forcing 10 pills down isn't so great on my gag reflex. The rest of the day, taking my supps is cake. But the morning? Ugh.
  • It's expensive. There's no way around it. I think we spent nearly $800 on food last month. That's $300 more than we normally spend. Ouch.
  • I'm having some digestive issues that my doc and I haven't been able to figure out. He thinks that I need a full intestinal/bowel cleanse, which I'm fine with. But, things in the tummy department haven't been working normally. Well, technically, they weren't normal before either, but I can actually tell there's something wrong now, and I'm anxious to get it resolved.
  • Social awkwardness. The truth is that I don't like explaining to every person on this planet what's wrong with me and why I can't eat the donuts at church or go out for dessert. This is forcing me to be creative with ways to hang out with people that aren't centered around food/drink. I don't want to come across as picky or snobby about food, and that's hard when I can have almost nothing at any restaurant in our town. 
  • People trying to get me to think that they might have a better solution that the one I'm currently pursuing. I have had many--very well-intentioned--people tell me that doing this, that, and the other would be faster and easier than what I'm already doing. I've probably been guilty of this very thing in the past, and now that the tables have turned, I have vowed to be more sensitive of the choices other people are making for themselves and their families. I may not agree with them, and if they ask my opinion, I'll definitely tell them. But if they don't, it's probably because they feel confident in their choices and don't want to be bombarded with conflicting opinions. Trust me, I know that chelation, cleanse-in-a-box detoxes, essential oils, and herbs are all great and probably work really well. If I thought those were the best option for me, I would be using them. 
  • Meditating is hard, and I don't like it. There. I've said it. This isn't Zen/NewAge/Buddhist meditation I'm talking about. It's simply clearing the mind. There's no trances, hypnosis, magic words, crazy breathing, or funky poses involved. But for a person whose mind runs 90 mph even in her sleep, getting it to be still for five minutes is no easy task. And I don't enjoy trying.
My doctor is amazing. What I love most about him is that he's a team player. He really listens to my questions and concerns and even my suggestions. He doesn't sit on a pedestal and tell me how much more he knows than I do and that his way is best. He recommended a certain brand of fish oil, and when I told him I wanted to continue taking my Green Pastures FCLO/HVBO instead, he was totally fine with it. When I asked if taking activated charcoal or bentonite clay orally would help with detox symptoms, he was completely honest and said he didn't know. I really admire a doctor who can tell his patient that he doesn't know something. Dr. C. is seriously a godsend, and in my opinion, so is nutritional balancing!

Besides all the positives and negatives, I am truly happy with this program. I feel that it is the most holistic approach and that it is really affecting my entire body and mind in a positive way.

2 comments:

The Dietz Diary said...

Thanks for the update! I've been praying and will keep praying!!

Becky Dietz said...

Glad to hear things are moving along...praying those intestinal issues move along also! ;)